[fpc-pascal] text.inc(1955, 20) Error: identifier idents no member "CodePage"

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Oct 26 14:38:37 CEST 2011

On 26 Oct 2011, at 14:25, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Maybe the makefile can be amended to check the version number of the
> FPC being used. If you are trying to compile Trunk, and the FPC
> version you want to use is not the last known released version, give a
> error indicating the problem, and refuse to compile Trunk.

This would require at least an exception for cross-architecture
compiling, because that should always be started with a native
compiler compiled from the same code base (a cross-build does not
perform a full cycle, which is required for certain kinds compiler of
changes to fully propagate in case we have to work around compiler
bugs in earlier versions that are triggered by newly added compiler
code).

There's also the case where a platform is new and no compiler binary
from the previous release exists nor can be created, in which case
people often prefer to use that binary as much as possible rather than
first cross-compiling one on another platform every time. Probably at
least a Makefile flag should be added that can be used to override the
check if you think you know what you are doing.

Jonas