[fpc-pascal] FPC for ARM

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 11:08:47 CET 2011

On 28/11/11 22:11, Thomas Schatzl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 28.11.2011 15:18, schrieb Henry Vermaak:
>> On 28/11/11 13:41, Juha Manninen wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Is FPC 2.2.2 really the latest native release for ARM processors?
>>> I guess it can build the more recent versions. (?)
>>
>> There is an arm release for 2.6.0rc1, but it was built using old
>> binutils (last time I checked, at least):
>>
>> ftp://freepascal.stack.nl/pub/fpc/beta/2.6.0-rc1/arm-linux/
>
> What OS/version are you using? Maybe some OS setup issue? On an HP
> Touchpad and a Sheevaplug-like system, which are both eabi5, the
> bootstrap compiler and fpc produced executables work just fine.

Ubuntu, which is quite a popular distro for arm systems, for some weird
reason.  What setup issue do you think can cause an internal error in
the bootstrap compiler?

I had no idea, so I cross compiled my own bootstrap compiler (with -gl)
to try and debug the error, but the one I built with an up to date
binutils simply worked.

> I do not mind trying to switch to eabi5 by default, but there might be
> systems which absolutely require eabi4 which seems to be some lowest
> common denominator, i.e. also eabi5 setups seem to be able to run them
> anyway.

I don't mind either way, since I tend to build my own compilers.  I just
wanted to point out that eabi version 4 is out of date.  It was used in
pre-releases of the abi.  I honestly don't know what the differences are
between the versions and whether they even affect the workings of fpc.
I thought that the linker probably wont let you link against objects
that have a different eabi version (at least it refused to link version
0 and 4, which is understandable).

Henry