[fpc-pascal] FPC for ARM

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 15:18:19 CET 2011

On 28/11/11 13:41, Juha Manninen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is FPC 2.2.2 really the latest native release for ARM processors?
> I guess it can build the more recent versions. (?)

There is an arm release for 2.6.0rc1, but it was built using old
binutils (last time I checked, at least):

ftp://freepascal.stack.nl/pub/fpc/beta/2.6.0-rc1/arm-linux/

So you'll probably have to build it yourself.  It does build fine
natively on Ubuntu for arm, if you have a bootstrap compiler that works.
  The one inside
ftp://freepascal.stack.nl/pub/fpc/beta/2.6.0-rc1/bootstrap/ does not
work for me (probably old binutils issue).  Let me know if you'd like my
bootstrap binary.

> Those small machines are amazing. 1.2 GHz CPU and half a GB memory was a
> decent desktop machine just few years ago, but those machines consumed
> power much more.

I have a tegra 2 laptop (dual core) and it's pretty usable.  Not exactly
fast, but lazarus runs with the odd hiccup here and there.

> Has anyone got experience of editing source in a PC (with Lazarus) and
> then transferring the source through a serial port to an embedded device
> to be compiled. Are there any tools to make it easier?
> Maybe people only use cross-compilers and move binaries, I don't know.

Install your favourite scm client on the device, then just pull the
source over the network?  Alternatively transfer the source with scp.

Henry