[fpc-pascal] Free Pascal 2.6.0rc1 released

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Nov 27 12:31:50 CET 2011

In our previous episode, Bernd said:
> > If
> > people are so easily confused, they should stay away from development
> > branches.
>
> This is supposed to be a stable branch

Only after 2.6.0. Though the situation is not really different for a .2 or
.4 release, only shorter.

> and there is no need for personal attacks.

It wasn't one. It is simply that following development (non releases)
requires some skill.

> > Specially since fixes_2_6 is an exact copy of RC1 except for the
> > version, so there is no real motivation to use it.
>
> Its just a coincidence that they are still identical.

No, that is done on purpose, partially also because merging is now very
complicated because of some fpmake differences between trunk and
fixes/2.6.0, and I don't want to add another dimension.

> The motivation for using subversion instead of doing a full download on
> every release is to always have the latest 2.6.x plus all the latest fixes
> for it.

Yes, but as said fixes_2_6 is now not in that state at all. It is the stable
candidate, nothing more. That's also why the number hasn't advanced and it
is still 2.5.1

While much could be done about this, it means a lot more work and worse,
chances to introduce mistakes, for very little benefit.