[fpc-pascal] Installing FPC 2.4.4 for Ubuntu / Mint + other thoughts

Bart bartjunk64 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 15:43:47 CEST 2011

Juha,

> I just want to
> have a working compiler for Lazarus SVN versions but it is difficult.

Yes, I recognize this from the past...
This is how I set it up on Suse 10.0
(I cannot use the rpm's my Suse is just too old, it refuses installing
fpc rpm's since long time ago)

Go to the general download page from fpc:
http://freepascal.org/download.var

>From binaries select your processor (mine is Intel/i386)
and click on your OS (Linux)

In my case (Intel/i386) this will lead me to
http://freepascal.org/down/i386/linux.var

Select a Mirror:

>From "Download in 1 big file" select:
fpc-2.4.4.i386-linux.tar

This file contains an installscript, which will install the compiler.

At this point you have a working compiler on your system.
So you can build Lazarus from SVN.

In addition, for Lazarus Codetools you need the fpc sources, which you
can obtain easily:

http://freepascal.org/down/source/sources.var
Select a Mirror, then one of these (if you do not need the sources for
the compiler)

Zip file:
    fpc-2.4.4.source.zip (26 MB)
Gzipped Tar file:
    fpc-2.4.4.source.tar.gz (22 MB)

The drawback for this method is that your package manager has no idea
nymore about which version of Fpc (binary and sources) is installed,
and you'll have to delet old versions yourself.

It works for me though (I've been doing this since Laz 0.9.26/fpc 2.2.2)

Hope this helps in any way.

Bart