[fpc-pascal] Patch: new XML export for FCL-DB ready for inclusion, issue 19790

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Wed Jul 27 12:26:06 CEST 2011

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Reinier Olislagers wrote:

> Hi list (& Michael Van Canneyt ;),
>
> Earlier I announced I was writing another XML export module for FCL-DB.
>
> After some interesting hours with Excel, Access, .Net and FreePascal,
> and thanks to Ludo Brands for testing and bugfixes, it seems the work is
> done.
>
> What is it: an FCL-DB export module that can export in various Unicode
> XML formats: Access/SQL Server, ADO.Net and Excel.
> The ADO.Net format is quite basic and might be suited for importing back
> into FreePascal (I'd suggest adding an FPC namespace with datatypes
> though, because you can't map FPC datatypes 1:1 with .Net datatypes).
>
> Suggestions for additional XML export formats are welcome.

Well, I have 2 on my wishlist:
1. The format used by Delphi's TClientDataset ?
2. Atom feeds as used by Google.

Feel free to take a shot at it :-)

> Is it tested: yep: export and import on Access XP, import by ADO.Net,
> import on Excel XP. Earlier versions of the code were tested with import
> on Access 2010.
>
> The code comes with some simple tests (basically testing if the various
> export formats actually finish without error) and a readme.
>
> I think it is stable enough to include in FPC 2.5.1 for more wide scale
> use and testing.
>
> I've uploaded it to bug 19790:
> files:
> 20110727_XMLXSDExport_Code.zip: the code, patch for fpc makefile
> I've annotated the code with Lazarus todo entries to indicate possible
> improvements/tests.
> 20110727_XMLXSDExport_Tests.zip: the test code. Note: I haven't patched
> any makefiles, don't know if that's necessary
>
> Could an administrator remove the rest of the files as they are older,
> superfluous and will confuse users? Thanks.
>
> Hope it can be applied, of course I'm available for any necessary
> changes/improvements,

I will look at it tonight, together with your CSV dataset improvements.
I'll also adapt the lazarus data desktop to include the new export format.

In each case, thank you very much for your efforts;
It's really hugely appreciated !

Michael.