[fpc-pascal] Readline substitute

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Dec 9 19:59:54 CET 2011

On 09 Dec 2011, at 19:37, noreply at z505.com wrote:

> See what happened to common lisp clisp when they used it. Had to change
> license to GPL even though they didn't want to.

They changed the license because they didn't want to stop using GNU libreadline. If they had switched to a BSD-licensed libreadline, they would not have had to start distributing their code also under a GPL-compatible license.

You may know this, but I think it is important not to spread the false impression that the GPL is like some kind of "virus" that "sticks" to your code once you have been "touched" by it, because that is not true at all. If that were true, then large parts of the FPC RTL would have been GPL by now since for a while it contained GPL'd code from the FreeCLX.

Jonas