[fpc-pascal] Why is Random(255) some 529x slower compared to Delphi 7?

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Thu Dec 8 18:51:18 CET 2011

On 12/8/2011 02:48, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 8 December 2011 09:25, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
>>
>> And what about people using FPC only and depending on our Random being
>> statistically strong, they are less important then theorical Delphi
>> migrants?
>
> [like what was told to me numerous times before]  They (FPC users)
> should speak up now, or forever hold your peace. And those that have
> spoken so far, all seem to be fine with a less statistically strong
> default Random(), and have the statistically strong one available in
> the Maths unit.

i wouldn't say specifically place it in the maths unit but what's wrong with
having both available via a "fastrandom" boolean parameter that is passed? if
the parameter is not passed, it is defaulted to TRUE... if one wants the MT
random, then they send FALSE in this parameter... seems simple enough... i think ;)