[fpc-pascal] Why is Random(255) some 529x slower compared to Delphi 7?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Dec 8 09:04:44 CET 2011

> > And what about people using FPC only and depending on our Random being
> > statistically strong, they are less important then theorical Delphi
> > migrants?
>
> [like what was told to me numerous times before]  They (FPC users)
> should speak up now, or forever hold your peace. And those that have
> spoken so far, all seem to be fine with a less statistically strong
> default Random(), and have the statistically strong one available in
> the Maths unit.

I don't enjoy validating working programs because of this.

It's a strange case where people are advocating the introduction of a slower
"manager" to improve the speed of random :-)

IMHO people wanting a guaranteed fast random, should create a package with a
guaranteed fast random, and use that, and not confuse it with compatibility
issues.

It is only a matter of time before an user wants to create a program that
includes a package that wants fast random with a package that wants a
reliable reproducable one.