[fpc-pascal] SNAPI Driver and USB HID

Johann Glaser Johann.Glaser at gmx.at
Mon Sep 6 19:07:08 CEST 2010

Hi!

I've bought a barcode scanner (Symbol MS4407) with an USB interface and
want to use that with Linux. Unfortunately Motorola (who bought Symbol a
few years ago) do not provide Linux drivers and also do not provide USB
protocol documentation, even after some pushy support questions.

For Windows they provide a SNAPI DLL plus a .h file. Does anybody know a
Linux version of the SNAPI driver, preferably written in FreePascal?

As I'm not very confident that such a driver does exist, I've also
evaluated the USB descriptors and such stuff. The scanner offers an USB
HID class interface. Some search in this mailing list archives reveals,
that Jonas pointed to a freelance job to provide some USB HID reader on
2009-07-21 and 2009-09-16. Are there any (freely) available results from
these jobs? Does anybody else have information on how to use the
Linux /dev/hid... stuff with Pascal? Or how to work with the USB HID
descriptor stuff?

Thanks
  Hansi