[fpc-pascal] GetTempFileName in Linux

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Sat Oct 23 11:17:39 CEST 2010

On 7 Oct 10, at 23:44, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Micha Nelissen wrote:
>
> > Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> >> Yes, but if the administrator must update 20 PCs manually every 2 weeks,
> >> he quickly complains that he has better things to do, so it must be done
> >> when the 'ordinary' user uses the application.
> >
> > Aren't there automation systems for this? Just like debian's 'apt-get update
> > && upgrade' with a custom repository with your software? But then for windows
> > I presume?
>
> I haven't seen any yet. The main problem is that the update isn't
> 'optional' or 'to be scheduled at X every night'.
> It must be done when the server application says it is time to do so.

Well, I believe that the proper solution for this issue for Windows
(fulfilling your needs) would be probably using a service running
under an administrator account and installed together with the
application. The service itself should be rather simple / generic in
order not to have to update the service too. This service can check
availability of a newer version periodically while the PC is running
but the application is not (in order to avoid the user having to wait
for the update on startup of the application) or do it on demand when
triggered to do so by the application (using some sort of IPC).

Tomas