[fpc-pascal] Working Free Pascal android JNI example

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 23:43:58 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Reimar Grabowski <reimgrab at web.de> wrote:
> I don't know of any way running native executables from Java on this platform. It is definitly not officially supported.

Here is a tutorial:

http://gimite.net/en/index.php?Run%20native%20executable%20in%20Android%20App

It just uses standard Android Java API calls AFAIK

> Since you cannot distribute this kind of software via official channels (market and the like) it is not of much use.

Google does not impose this kind of limit on market applications. As
long as you have the standard installer packages and has a stub Java
program calling our Pascal app it should be fine.

> Also I don't really know how to interact with these kinds of programs

The most workable that I found is through pipes between the Java and
the FPC app.

Sockets are also a possibility, but I think (not sure) they will
probably add more overhead then pipes.

> or how to run a GUI.

This is the tricky part. The obvious answer is OpenGL ES.

I would like to use the Surface Manager C API instead, but I haven't
found any documentation about it so OpenGL ES seams to be the workable
solution.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho