[fpc-pascal] Text scan in text files - (was: Full text scan - PDF files)

Marcos Douglas md at delfire.net
Mon Nov 1 20:40:45 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Alberto Narduzzi
<albertonarduzzi at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sorry,
>
>> I agree. But as I search for text within PDF files?
>
> I assumed true the following statement of yours...
>
> [Somebody can help me please?
> I need to search strings in Text files using just FPC.]

Yes, I changed my first mail because nobody answered me about search
in PDF files!

> so I suggested the fast-enough (in my opinion) use of the Pos function.
> If _now_ you want to search directly in the PDFs, then I cannot help you, as
> I myself would go for the conversion to text files on first instance.

I'll try this method too.
Now, I'm trying to convert the PDF files as best I can... I don't know
if pdf2txt is the best way...

> TTYTT, I usually search for text in PDFs (using Acrobat Reader, just
> searching, when I need to convert some e-books) and I see it's blooody slow,
> compared to a search in a plain text file.
> I doubt (but also would like to be discredited here...) there is a faster
> library than the Adobe Acrobat Reader one itself, so I think the combination
> of the two methods (conversion, and then search) would bring to the same
> overall speed; if not higher...

Yes, that's what I thought too  ;-)

> Just my last 2c on the thing.
>
> P.S.
> Why don't you give it a try, cronometer at hand, first?

Because I have not gotten in this stage yet  :)

Thanks,
Marcos Douglas