[fpc-pascal] buildfaq.pdf - about different starting compiler and generated compiler

Thierry Bothorel thierry.bothorel at gmail.com
Sun May 23 12:07:04 CEST 2010

Hi,

I wonder if this sentence from the buildfaq is always relevantt :

> A standard confusing detail when installing a snapshot is that the
> target directory (e.g.  /usr/local/lib/fpc/2.4.0) depends
> on the version number. If you would follow the above sequence, and the
> generated compiler (say version 2.5.1) is not equal to
> the starting compiler (say version 2.4.0), then make install will
> install into the wrong directory. The same goes for windows
> ( c:\fpc\2.4.0 ... ) This can be solved by setting the compiler that
> is generated in the "make all" step as a starting compiler
> to the "make install" step. This will ensure that the "make install"
> sequence gets the correct versioning info.

If I build FPC  from the trunk (2.5.1 currently) and set explicitly the
FPC binary to the 2.4.1 version, it installs already within the right
directory,  lib/fpc/2.5.1/ and not in lib/fpc/2.4.1/

So I wonder if the sentence is about a behaviour in an older freepascal
release, or if I completely missed something ?

Thierry B.