[fpc-pascal] Pascal dialect -- was: Re: fpc-pascal Digest, Vol 72, Issue 12

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Jun 4 14:36:29 CEST 2010

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 4 June 2010 13:53, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>>
>> And porting 3rd party delphi code.
>
> I've already ported OS/2 Pascal, C#, Java and C/C++ code to Free
> Pascal. It's not that hard at all, so even if FPC is not very Delphi
> compatible, porting will still be much easier than porting from other
> languages.
>
> What annoys me most is that there is no clear cut line between
> portability and improvements. Sometimes the FPC core developers all
> all ok with improvements, and sometimes flatout refuse even minor
> improvement (at which point they throw the Delphi Compatibility card).
> It's like mood swings. If we catch you guys on a good day, then
> things go smooth - but dare we propose something on a bad day, then
> all hell breaks loose.
>
> The other problem with Delphi Compatibility is that not even the FPC
> team knows which version of Delphi we are supposed to be Delphi
> compatible with.

Of course we do: as recent as practically feasible, given time.

And yes, we are aware that this is a moving target. If we didn't have this
approach, we'd be stuck with TP compatibility, and we'd have a very small
community indeed.

> First TP, then D5, then D7, then a bit from D2007,
> another bit from D2009 oh, and then this other little bit from D2010.
> Oh, and we even have a bit of Kylix in the mix.  Compatibility with
> Delphi is drastically declining, but still no improved design or other
> goods ideas are allowed (most of the time). How long are we supposed
> to wait until you guys finally give up the compatibility race, and see
> how flawed (and broken) it is at this current point in time?

The compatibility race will never be given up; if you are waiting for that,
you will be disappointed.

But you can submit patches. Very few patches have been refused till now.

Michael.