[fpc-pascal] Pascal dialect -- was: Re: fpc-pascal Digest, Vol 72, Issue 12

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 14:16:05 CEST 2010

On 4 June 2010 13:53, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> And porting 3rd party delphi code.

I've already ported OS/2 Pascal, C#, Java and C/C++ code to Free
Pascal. It's not that hard at all, so even if FPC is not very Delphi
compatible, porting will still be much easier than porting from other
languages.

What annoys me most is that there is no clear cut line between
portability and improvements. Sometimes the FPC core developers all
all ok with improvements, and sometimes flatout refuse even minor
improvement (at which point they throw the Delphi Compatibility card).
 It's like mood swings. If we catch you guys on a good day, then
things go smooth - but dare we propose something on a bad day, then
all hell breaks loose.

The other problem with Delphi Compatibility is that not even the FPC
team knows which version of Delphi we are supposed to be Delphi
compatible with. First TP, then D5, then D7, then a bit from D2007,
another bit from D2009 oh, and then this other little bit from D2010.
Oh, and we even have a bit of Kylix in the mix.  Compatibility with
Delphi is drastically declining, but still no improved design or other
goods ideas are allowed (most of the time). How long are we supposed
to wait until you guys finally give up the compatibility race, and see
how flawed (and broken) it is at this current point in time?

  - Graeme -