[fpc-pascal] Pascal dialect -- was: Re: fpc-pascal Digest, Vol 72, Issue 12

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 12:54:48 CEST 2010

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 08:50:06 +0200
Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Borland and Embarcadero jumps off
> the cliff - FPC must now also jump off the cliff. :)

Hello, Graeme!

I'm surprised of this, fpc still systematically trying to follow Delphi, after so many years. I can understand that at the beginning the fpc team needed to mostly comply with Delphi, as de facto object pascal standard. But then, fpc could live its own life, possibly taking the best of Delphi's innovations, but not having as main goal to be always running after it. Fpc anyway has done different choices for some features (including choices of non-implementation), so why not having already made the step of declaring fpc a (object) Pascal dialect of its own?

[Note: if ever this topic is a sensible one launching flame wars, just close it. This is not my intention, I'm just asking.]

Denis