[fpc-pascal] Which -Op??? parameter is appropriate

David W Noon david.w.noon at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 26 13:38:34 CET 2010

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:16:53 +0200, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote about Re:
[fpc-pascal] Which -Op??? parameter is appropriate:

> Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> >
> > Is -OpPENTIUMM better or worse than -OpPENTIUM4?  Is any of them
> > appropriate for a Core2Quad CPU?
>
> OK, I think I answered my own question when I tried it on my projects.
>

> -OpATHLON64 seems to be the option for my CPU type. 'fpc -i' gives
> you the available options. Lazarus IDE seems to use a hard-coded set
> of values, not actually what the current fpc compiler supports.

I always put my hardware-specific options in /etc/fpc.cfg, so that all
users [of the compiler] on my systems get the right options for local
usage of the compiled applications.  Hopefully, Lazarus does not
override them with any hard-coded values.

If I were shipping compiled binaries, I would take a more "lowest
common denominator" approach, specifying an 80386 or some such.
However, I don't have that problem.

Dave  [RLU #314465]