[fpc-pascal] Bridging FPC and Delphi

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 18:55:02 CEST 2010

I was on freenode irc #fpc earlier and asked some questions but not enough
people were online to get an answer.

My question was/is:

**** Will there ever again come a point where FPC attempts to bring in more
compatibility with Delphi? Specifically, in regards to operator overloading
and generic language syntax. ****

I'd really like to use generics in my cross platform graphic widgets toolkit
and have it continue to work with both Delphi and FPC, but as of right I
can't tolerate the enormous amounts of {$IFDEFs} required to do so.

For those interested, here is a video showcasing a very old version (circa
2004) of my toolkit. Compiles on Windows (Delphi 7) and Linux (FPC).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqeFZ2zhszU

Screens from my picture browser (circa 2006) :

http://imagebot.org/snapshops/photo-grid-animate.jpg
http://imagebot.org/snapshops/3d-picture-gallery.jpg