[fpc-pascal] x86.pp and oldlinux.pp

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Nov 3 01:17:17 CET 2009

Holger Bruns wrote on Tue, 03 Nov 2009:

> I decided to copy all the necessary files for x86.pp and oldlinux.pp
> into one directory for compiling these two units. This compilation
> failed due to syntax errors. A bunch of warnings also appeared. I
> post only the syntax error messages:

You appear to be compiling for x86_64 (please mention your full build
configuration in the future, until now I thought your were working on
i386). The reason that we do not ship a compiled version of the
oldlinux unit for x86_64 is that it simply does not work on 64 bit
platforms. Hence all the errors you are getting when trying to compile
it anyway.

The reason that oldlinux is not support for 64 bit platforms is that,
as the name implies, it is no longer maintained and hence only works
on the platforms that were supported when it was written (being i386
and m68k). It is full of code specific to those two platforms and
hence unportable by design. In fact, the last time we shipped a
compiled version of the oldlinux unit for any platform was with 2.0.4
(released 3 years ago). It is simply no longer supported, and the
source only included for people who might have legacy projects
depending on it (or because nobody bothered yet to delete it from svn).

The x86 unit was not yet adapted for x86_64 in FPC 2.2.4, hence why
a) a compiled version was not included in the distribution
b) you get errors when trying to compile it anyway

The next release of FPC will include a version of the x86 unit for
Linux/x86_64. In general, if a unit is not available in a precompiled
version for your platform, the reason is that it does not work. Unless
you intend to fix/rewrite that unit for your platform, trying to force
the compiler to compile it anyway will not help you.

Jonas