[fpc-pascal] locale solution for unix systems

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 07:49:16 CET 2009

[....moved the conversation from Lazarus mailing list....]

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Bart <bartjunk64 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, i see. I have those files on Suse too.
> Not sure what package is responsible.
> An rpm -q locale (or locales) reveals nothing.

I'm pretty sure rpm must have a way to query it by giving the file and
asking what package it belongs to.

> I was under the impression that actually the LC_xxx files in
> /usr/lib/locales/ determined the locale setting?

I think the /usr/share/i18n/locales/* files are simply text based
versions of those files - I have not confirmed this though, on
speculating.

> See that "grouping" differs.
> (I have  not extensively checked other LC_xxx files)

I have tried that test on my side using en_GB, en_ZA and af_ZA and the
"grouping" is the same in either text or LC_xxx files.
Maybe your text files and LC_xxx files are differing versions?

Either way, parsing the /usr/share/i18n/locales/* should give much
better locale results than the current FPC implementation under Unix
systems. If you don't use the libc locale unit, everything is
hard-coded to en_US which is not so nice.

Regards,
  - Graeme -