[fpc-pascal] Boehm GC

Adrian Veith adrian at veith-system.de
Wed Mar 18 16:55:19 CET 2009

ritchie turner schrieb:
> I'm new to fpc and pascal, i.e. I've never done a project in it, but
> i've been following the lists for a while and dabbling.
>
> I like using a garbage collector and I know you can replace the memory
> manager in fpc so i guess it's probably trivial to replace the standard
> with boehm. Wondered if anyone's done it and how they got on, and if
> there are issues with the idea.

It is quite easy to use the boehm gc inside delphi. I did some test a
few years ago. Since the fpc memory manager interface is very close to
delphi, it should be no problem to port the boehm gc to fpc.

the major disadvantage I see, is, that all the existing code is not gc
aware - you loose the benefits of a gc.

cheers,

Adrian.