[fpc-pascal] Creating FPC enabled websites

Dariusz Mazur darekm at emadar.com
Wed Mar 4 12:00:16 CET 2009

> I've heard all this before since 10 years, and it is only true for small
> applets used by a broad public.
>
> For large applications (1500+ windows) that stay open virtually all day
> and are used by a specialized public, the benefits of web-based are zero,
> and are even contraproductive.
I've made this size of application. And now develop it for desktop and
webbase. Whole application is made only one and compile to both
destination by FPC.
Both version can work together on the same database. And web-base work
quite fast. Much of response is done <100ms on short distance (in the
same LAN). Long is 200ms worse.
Small part on http://emadar.eu:8001 but its only Polish.

this is animation how it work:
http://www.emadar.com/fpc/fakturowaniemobile.gif

I will publish source as open source. I've prepare demo of our
framework, but till now any dos is absent.
If anybody interested I send links.

> They mostly clog the server with code
> designed solely to maintain some form of user session state on the server.

Of course. But opposite solution is terminal (like NX or Microsoft
Terminal Server) which work the same.

> The sole advantage of web apps is ease of distrubution.
Not only.
First we can access form everywhere. Long distance is not problem.
Second is easier to install and first access for new user. Every can
type URL in browser, but very often desktop application interact with
other programs in computer and something not work.
Third:  users don't lost data. Others are less important.

> It is countered
> by the fact that there are still many non-compliant browsers out there.
> (or you could require version X of browser Y, but then you're back in
> c/s territory)

Our solution work on most browsers.
> To prove my point I once did performance tests with AJAX, SOAP and whatnot
> technologies when compared to a specialized C/S protocol. In general the
> conclusion was that SOAP and standards-based applications worked 6 times
> slower. Also something to take into consideration, because it meant that
> 6 times more people could work on a single server simultaneously.

Its not comparable. We send quite different information. On C/S we send
data, for browser send screen (of course write in HTML source).
Size of screen is const, but in huge application data transfer grow. Not
all can be don on RDBMS server

--
  Darek