[fpc-pascal] BoolToStr() with correct locale output

John Coppens john at jcoppens.com
Fri Jun 26 19:48:04 CEST 2009

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:54:55 +0100
Henry Vermaak <henry.vermaak at gmail.com> wrote:

> > How come nobody ever noticed this? Does everybody only write English
> > programs. :-)

I _hate_ to think of the consequences of localization of those strings.
Have we had enough of the . and , problem? I don't think we need another
cause for incompatibilities in data files. Localization should be done by
the application program which assigns a meaning to the variable, not by
Pascal.

Boolean values tend to represent too many things, apart from TRUE and
FALSE. Like FULL and EMPTY, FAST and SLOW, and so on. To me it makes
sense that booleans are stored as bits, and, if _really_ necessary, shown
as TRUE or FALSE, mainly for debugging purposes. Wirth's Pascal definition
specifies the use of TRUE and FALSE.

Just my $.02

John