[fpc-pascal] Writeable typed constants - what's the point?

fpclist at silvermono.co.za fpclist at silvermono.co.za
Thu Jun 18 11:20:20 CEST 2009

It's intersting to note that as far back as Delphi 5,(oldest I have on my
system), attempting to write to a typed constant causes a "left side cannot
be assigned to" compiler error.

I guess as long as FPC compiler offers TP7 compatibility, this feature must be
retained. Also, bear in mind that some developers might want to mix old style
constructs with new ones, (TP7 object and Delphi classes), so restricting
available feature to certain modes might not be the way to go.

Regards,
Nino