[fpc-pascal] FastMM4 revised.

Werner Bochtler werner.bochtler at zkrd.de
Wed Jun 17 15:35:07 CEST 2009

Joost van der Sluis schrieb:
> Op woensdag 17-06-2009 om 13:46 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Torsten
> Bonde Christiansen:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I found in the fpc-pascal archive a short thread on someone converting
>> FastMM4 to FPC.
>>
>> Does anyone know if this succeeded or if the curret (4.92) version of
>> FastMM4 can be used with fpc?
>
> I thought it was for a large part written in assembly. So even when you
> could usi it, only on windows-i386.

1. FastMM4 can also be used on linux (-> kylix) but the assembler code
is not PIC-safe i. e. can't be used in linux shared libraries.

2. Using {$undef ASMVersion} in FastMM4 replaces most of the assembler
functions with native pascal functions.

3. FastMM4 can't be used without modifications with FPC.

If there is any interest, I could provide a patched (but not thoroughly
testet!) version 4.92 which is based on extensions originally made by
Adrian Veith for version 4.46.

Additionally my patched version also contains some modifications to make
FastMM PIC-safe. As mentioned before: This version has not been tested,
i. e. some work to make it stable working will probably be necessary.

Werner