[fpc-pascal] FPC on USB

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Mon Jun 15 10:13:36 CEST 2009

Thomas Nelson wrote:
>     I would like to put the FPC development environment (including
>     fpgui) on a USB.
>
>     I live in the windows environment and would I am trying to find the
>     proper procedure to be able to make FPC portable as I go from
>     computer to computer.

I have a similar setup, but under Linux. What I had to do is create two
scripts (The windows term would be batch files) to setup my environment.
For example, the one script sets the PATH environment variable to
include the FPC/bin directory. That way the terminal I used to execute
that script can locate and use fpc (ppc386) from any location - note
that it only works for that terminal.

The other scrip I have is to load the Lazarus IDE and my custom script
passes in the --pcp=<pathhere> parameter for my roaming profile directory.

My external drive is always mounted as: /media/640gig/

FPC is located at: /media/640gig/fpc_2.2.5
Lazarus is at: /media/640gig/lazarus
fpGUI is at: /media/640gig/programming/fpgui
My local projects are at: /media/640gig/programming/

This setup is not ideal, but in my controlled environment, it allows me
to move from desktop to laptop and still have all my projects available
and my development environment.

  - Graeme -