[fpc-pascal] Compiling Lazarus and LCL using rebuilt FPC RTL

fpclist at silvermono.co.za fpclist at silvermono.co.za
Fri Jun 12 15:50:50 CEST 2009

On Thursday 11 June 2009 08:49:03 fpclist at silvermono.co.za wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Assuming that a FPC RTL rebuild has succeeded, can somebody please describe
> the process of rebuilding Lazarus and the LCL using the new FPC RTL?
>
> Regards,
> Nino

As the saying goes "Assumption is the mother of all ...."

I was under the impression that I was rebuilding the complete FPC RTL, but in
reality it was not the case.

For the benefit of anyone out there that may not yet know how to do a RTL
rebuild and is interested, I found the following method will no doubt make
sure that the complete FPC RTL is rebuilt and used in the rebuilding of
Lazarus and its LCL. (may be a pun in there somewhere)

Following, is as found on my system. Yours may be different.

from: /usr/share/fpcsrc/rtl run: make clean all install
from: /usr/share/fpcsrc/packages run: make clean all install

The new RTL files will be copied to:
/usr/local/lib/fpc/2.2.5/units/i386-linux

Next, copy the files in the above directory (/usr/../units/i386-linux)
into /usr/lib/fpc/2.2.5/units/i386-linux

Getting Lazarus to use the new FPC RTL:
Allow Lazarus to rebuild the LCL and itself from within Lazarus or use
Lazarus's make files.

That's it.

Regards,
Nino