[fpc-pascal] fpmake: output directories

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 09:46:40 CEST 2009

2009/6/3 Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org>:

> I don't think the 'freedesktop' standard is much of a standard.
> Like I said, it was a mistake to have followed the 'standard'.

Well if everybody thinks like that, then NOTHING will become a
standard. The "dot" files idea is a mess, the FHS is a mess.

I greatly appreciate the efforts freedesktop.org and LSB are trying to
do. The application development under Linux, *BSD, etc is a huge mess
compared to OS X and Windows.

> The ONLY programs that I know of that write to ~/.config are the
> programs using the sysutils GetAppConfigDir.

Well, I have a new Ubuntu 8.04 install which is about 1.5 months old.
I already have the following applications that use the ~/.config
directory.

  BeyondCompare
  Tracker
  Compiz
  Qt (not KDE based)
  Totem
  GTK-2.0
  DoubleCmd
  Menus (various apps registering there desktop and menu icons here)

So that's not bad for a developer only PC.  And I left out all the
Free Pascal based applications like, FPCUnit, Lazarus, Lazarus Data
Desktop, TutorAdmin, fpGUI UI Designer, etc..

So my opinion, is that it is great that there is an effort no get some
desktop application standard going. That way developers can query an
environment variable to detect the users preferred directory
locations, preferd editor, web browser, image viewer, video player
etc... Otherwise how else is a Linux application developer going to
query such things.

I'm all for some desktop standards under Linux! :-)

BTW:
Michael, did you know that you *can* set your $XDG_CONFIG_HOME
environment variable so that it uses something other that ~/.config/
directory.  The ~/.config/ is simply the default location if the
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment variable is not set.

Regards,
  - Graeme -