[fpc-pascal] OpenCL

Lourival Mendes mendes.lourival at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 13:36:20 CET 2009

Thanks a lot for your answer Dmitry,

   Sorry for my dummy questions, but if I got the idea, the OpenCL
implementation, from NVidia for Windows, is available as .dll. and the
Pascal binding should be adapted to work with it. Also, there is some
troubles with the OpenCL and if I understood correctly, for while,
OpenCL is not available in a spread way to work in Windows, Mac and so
on, but probably CUDA is, but we don't have bindings for Pascal code
yet.

Hugs

Lourival

2009/12/28 dmitry boyarintsev <skalogryz.lists at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Lourival Mendes
> <mendes.lourival at gmail.com> wrote:
>> please correct me if I'm wrong, CUDA work only for NVidia and OpenCL
>> should work for all GPU, right?
>>  and if I got the idea the OpenCL bindings submitted works only for
>> Mac. Can I get and try it on Windows?
>
> There some changes required at the header to be useful at Windows.
> NVidia's OpenCL implementation is available as .dll
>
> I've also tried to launch the Mac's "hello world" example, it did
> compile fine, but failed with the error. (something was wrong with
> OpenCL program, not pascal code... so much for being cross-platform
> lib)...
>
> Also, OpenCL is designed to be hardware independent layer, so, in
> theory, it's NOT necessary to have powerful GPU card. If there's none
> OpenCL lib would use CPU for processing. It would be slow, but still
> should work.
> I've tried Mac "hello world" sample on MacBook with slow Intel
> integrated video, and the sample failed if GPU flag is set, but did
> work for CPU mode.
>
> thanks,
> dmitry

Lourival J. Mendes Neto