[fpc-pascal] Best method for code reuse?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat Apr 4 19:12:05 CEST 2009

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 12:28:18 -0400
Francisco Reyes <lists at stringsutils.com> wrote:

> Mattias Gaertner writes:
>
> > Units is the right way.
> > And even better: create a lazarus package for the new units.
>
> Most of what I do is CLI, have not even installed lazarus.

Lazarus is an IDE for any kind of FPC program.
You can even edit the compiler itself with it.

> Could someone doing CLI use a lazarus package?

Of course.

> What advantage of doing a lazarus package over just making it a unit?

A lazarus package helps to
- write documentation for it,
- handle translations,
- simplifying integrating it into programs with different
compiler settings

> Right now I am just getting back into pascal doing a simple open
> source utility so may be a little bit before I am up to speed. Was
> thinking of trying Lazarus later. Would I have any advantages on
> doing my CLI work from Lazarus?

Lazarus has a lot of tools for searching and writing code faster.

Mattias