[fpc-pascal] Can I make this with Free Pascal?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Sep 24 08:56:15 CEST 2008

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, markweber wrote:

> Thank you, guys.
>
> I preferred a lot the second wave of answers. You are master developers, but
> many people are not, so you need to be patient as you were this time.
>
> You have given me useful advices.
>
> I have talked about this with other people too. I believe to make a complex
> graphics software is really hard, using libraries or not. Probably it's the
> reason there is so few softwares like that (the CG complex ones), free or
> not. We can see tons of toy CG programs, but the monsters are few.
>
> Anyway, I got free pascal is a tool for skilled nerds. Looks nice to know
> such a killer stuff.

Free pascal can be used by beginners and professional developers.

Pascal was designed as a language to teach programming. So it must
be simple to understand. You can make extremely simple programs with
Free Pascal. Much easier than in C(++) or Java or even C#.

Commercial companies have added features to the Pascal language
which make it a powerful language as well: Easier and more powerful
string handling, and powerful Object orientied features, the ability
to insert assembler straight in your Pascal code. That makes it an
attractive tool for any professional.

Free Pascal comes with a lot of standard libraries that can be used as
basic building blocks for almost any task you may have.

And I assume that all this is why most of use use FPC.

And oh yes, it's free software. Also not unimportant... :-)

Michael.