[fpc-pascal] Installing on Mac OS X

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Mon Sep 1 15:15:44 CEST 2008

On 01 Sep 2008, at 13:58, Paul wrote:

> /usr/local/bin/ppc386
> it'wasn't listed in the dropdown box.

You can type it in. I don't know what exactly is listed in the default
dropdown menu and why.

> I closed Lazarus (still open from yesterday) and now I can't find
> lazarus anymore.

Type cmd-shift-g in the Finder. In the dialog box that appears, type /
usr/local/share/lazarus. You'll find the application there. You can
create an alias to it (shortcut in Windows terms) by holding down cmd
and option (= cmd and alt) and dragging the Lazarus application icon
anywhere you want. Then you won't have to remember its installation
location anymore when you want to use it again.

> I understood that I have to add the directories manually in a
> console application or terminal,
> a return to the DOS age.

No, you don't, except if you want to the command line stuff. And DOS
was actually a partial imitation of Unix, not the other way around.

> I need to get a book using OS X first, because this leads to nowhere.

As I said, it won't help you in particular with these issues, because
Lazarus is not behaving like an OS X app at this time.

> It won't be before weekend though.
> Anyway, while Lazarus was open, I saw bugs in the editor: the last
> character of each line was written over the previous character.
> Form = class(TFor) instead of Form=class(TForm)
> en; instead of end;
> Looks like a bug ..

It's because Lazarus by default selects a variable rather than a fixed
width font, and its editor cannot deal with that (at least the Carbon
one can't). I believe this was fixed in more recent versions, but if
you first started an older version it probably stored the font name in
the preferences.

To change it to a properly displayed font, go to Environment->Editor
Options, click on the Display tab and set it to Monaco (if you type
the name in manually, make sure you capitalise it like that). There
does not yet appear to be an option to disable anti-aliasing though.

Jonas