[fpc-pascal] TListBox bug in LCL of Lazarus?

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Mon Dec 22 10:08:15 CET 2008

> Can we expect some improvements (patches) from
> you soon.

I would like to but as I am new with Lazarus my knowledge about it is
not sufficient to give advices (as you can see ;-)). More of such
pitfalls may lurk somewhere which I don't know about so I cannot give
advices about it.

> people who have Delphi code rather stay with
> Delphi, and that might not be unwise.

But people using Delphi are the most likely to be converted to
FPC/Lazarus so it would not be wise to reject them. Otherwise this
project may lack of contributors even more.

> You feed ansi encoded strings where UTF-8 is needed. That is garbage.
> Don't trust the converter too much.

That's like saying: Don't trust FPC/Lazarus too much. How can a new user
know which parts of Lazarus can be "trusted" (whatever this is) and
which not.

Wouldn't it be easy to do the UTF-8 conversion within the converter too?
  Everybody knows that Delphi uses Ansi and everybody (except newbies)
knows that Lazarus uses UTF-8. So staying with Ansi provokes such
incompatibleness.

99% of my problems with this issue would have been avoided if not the
whole string is dropped in case that a string is not conform to
UFT-8. That doesn't make any sense. If it's such an error why not raise
an exception instead of silently doing nothing? But it would be better
to just drop malformed characters but not the whole string so a user
would immediately see that something is wrong with the coding.

Jürgen Hestermann.