[fpc-pascal] Compiler option to check return value ignorance

Jeff Wormsley daworm10 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 14 14:48:58 CEST 2008

Vinzent Höfler wrote:
> And to be honest, there aren't many cases where you really can ignore the result of the function and keep the good conscience of having it done right. If a function in Pascal returns something it's usually useful.

There are many cases like that, at least in my experience.  Of course, I
write business apps, not medical systems or rocket guidance, so my
tolerance for not dotting every i and crossing every t is probably
higher than others, but at the same time, I certainly wouldn't want to
be forced to check for conditions that aren't likely to ever occur.  The
extra expense in development time isn't worth the risk of not doing the
checks.  That cost vs risk analysis will be different for everyone.

Jeff.

--
I haven't smoked for 1 year, 11 months and 4 weeks, saving $3,277.77 and
not smoking 21,851.82 cigarettes.