[fpc-pascal] The reason why linus torvalds hate-pascal

Andreas Berger Andreas at TheBergerClan.org
Sun Apr 20 19:21:23 CEST 2008

> C provides the infinitely-abusable goto statement, and labels to
> branch to. Formally the goto is never necessary and in practice it is
> almost always  easy to write code without it. We have not used goto in
> this book.
> Nonetheless , we will suggest a few situations where goto's may find a
> place. The most common use is to abandon processing in some deeply
> nested structure, such as breaking out of two loops at once. The break
> statement cannot be used directly since it leaves only the innermost
> loop....
> Although we are not dogmatic about a matter, it does seem that goto
> statements should be used sparingly, if at all.

I agree, the goto should only be used to IMPROVE code readability.

About break. I would like to see an implementation of Break(x) where x
is the number of loops to break out of.
Correction: I would not like this, I would LOVE it.

Andreas