[fpc-pascal] The reason why linus torvalds hate-pascal

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Tue Apr 15 10:48:46 CEST 2008

Op dinsdag 15-04-2008 om 10:21 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Marco van
de Voort:

> > Linus also put (traditional) before pascal, just to make this clear.
> So
> > I don't see this as a 'rant on pascal', but just arguing with some
> > examples of older languages that goto's could be good in some cases.
>
> I do see it as a rant if you raves on how it is used to torture
> students
> etc. A point could have been made more sec.
>
> However it shows again the image problem of pascal, cause by people
> making
> assumptions on old compilers during their student years, and keep
> comparing
> it to later ones forever.

That's also what Linus says:

"(Yeah, yeah, most _practical_ versions of Pascal ended up having all
the stuff necessary to break structure, but as you may be able to tell,
I was one of the unwashed masses who had to write in "standard Pascal"
in my youth. I'm scarred for life)."

> If even reasonably intelligent people can't escape from it, maybe we
> are doomed.

Those people are getting older and older, we just need a younger
audience. ;)

Joost.