[fpc-pascal] fast text processing

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Oct 31 09:15:39 CET 2007

> > TStrings is meant for GUI purposes. It's design and implementation are
> > not optimized.
>
> Then its our task to optimize it more (and more) so it could as fast as
> Perl. What I meant here is using standard or default FPC's
> classes/units. ;) I don't count any third parties class/units/library or
> non standard attempt here since it'd require extra effort, especially
> for newbies or newcomers (to FPC).

You can't separate performance from requirements. First define a problem,
then a solution. Not the other way around.

If you just want to show off, the easiest is simply making a FPC header to
pcre, it might be useful even.

> Of course, I know I can beat Perl using my own optimized TStrings
> written in assembler by hand mixed by pascal syntax. But, that's not the
> point. ;)

TString returns strings. A regex returns a boolean. This means that tstrings
must always copy strings.