[fpc-pascal] Re: GDB issues with the latest unstable FPC...

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Mar 2 11:00:44 CET 2007

On 02 Mar 2007, at 10:36, m utku wrote:

> > Do line numbers work?
>
> Yes, indeed I can use dump_stack without problems but still no luck
> with breakpoints. I can always reproduce this case:
>
> (1) declare a test function like:
> procedure foobar;
> begin
> // some code to avoid smart link elimination, just in case.
> end;

Smartlinking happens depending on whether or not the procedure is
reachable from the entry point of the program, not depending on
whether or not it contains code.

> (2) when I set a breakpoint in gdb, the filename and line of this
> breakpoint points to a wrong unit and lineno.

How do you try to set the breakpoint? You can either use:
a) b FOOBAR
b) b sourcefile.pas:linenr

I guess you are using a) (of course that should work as well)

> (3) interestingly, the map file generated by the linker doesn't
> even contain the foobar entry. (no optimization commands passed to
> compiler so it shouldn't be eliminated.)

Your default configuration file may contain -CX -XX. Alternatively,
you may be looking for the wrong symbol name. It will be called
something like P$PROGRAM_FOOBAR

Jonas