[fpc-pascal] installing latest stable

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Jun 10 12:15:24 CEST 2007

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007, pineal wrote:

> On Friday 08 June 2007 18:46, Daniël Mantione wrote:
> > Op Fri, 8 Jun 2007, schreef pineal:
> > > I have downloaded a tar archive,
> > >
> > > fpc-2.1.4.i386-linux.tar
> > >
> > > there are no install instructions that I can find. Can anyone give me
> > > some guidance or perhaps a link.
> >
> > Please a look at the earlier e-mail today about the rebuild of this
> > release.
> >
> > The instructions are right next to the download link on the website:
> > "After untarring the archive into a temporary location, you can run the
> > install script by issuing the command "sh install.sh".
> >
> > So:
> > * Open a terinal.
> > * Untar the file, i.e. type "tar xvzf fpc-2.1.4.i386-linux.tar".
> > * Type "sh install.sh".
> >
> > Daniël
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I have spent the whole afternoon trying to install fpc. :(
>
> First I downloaded the .rpm files. The compiler and docs install fine but the
> source doesn't install anything and there is no error or warning.

The source RPM installs an archive file in /usr/src/packages/SOURCES
you must unpack this archive yourself. This is standard behaviour for RPM.

> So I tried the same source rpm from a different mirror with the same result.
>
> So I removed those, downloaded the new 2.1.4a archive, unpacked it  and ran
> the install script (which I had to interrupt and run a second time as root)
> which ran without showing an error and yet I still have no source installed.

That is because it does not install the sources. The .tar.gz does not
contain the sources: it would more than double the size. The sources
are available as a separate download.

Michael.