[fpc-pascal] building source package with fpcmake without installing

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at t-online.de
Tue Jul 31 21:54:04 CEST 2007

Am Dienstag, den 31.07.2007, 21:36 +0200 schrieb Jonas Maebe:
> On 31 Jul 2007, at 21:28, Marc Santhoff wrote:
>
> >> You can install to any location you want using
> >>
> >> make install INSTALL_PREFIX=x/usr/local
> >>
> >> tar will throw away leading slashes anyway, so it doesn't matter from
> >> where you zip/tar everything.
> >
> > That doesn't work since the prefix is set in the Makefile.fpc and the
> > setting in the file wins:
>
> There should be no prefix setting in the Makefile.fpc, because the
> default prefix depends on the target operating system.

I see, and taking it out of the file it is correctly set for FreeBSD.
And setting on the command line work. Jippie! :)

Where is setting the prefix value based on the OS running on done?

>  Most Makefiles
> don't contain it, as I use INSTALL_PREFIX all the time to install
> e.g. the Mac OS X release to a temporary location for packaging it
> (so at least everything under /fpc is ok, except for possibly the
> text mode IDE, as it's not built/packaged for Mac OS X by default).
>
> Which Makefile.fpc were you quoting from?

The one I wrote for my program. That program is FreeBSD only (may get
ported Windows somewhen) and I'm in the process of preparing the source
distfile for  FreeBSD "port" (sort of RPM-like installation thingy on
BSDs, works like that apt-get-stuff).

Thank you very much, now I can finish this thing and put it aside. :)

Marc