[fpc-pascal] .NET FAQ

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Sep 29 09:14:14 CEST 2006

> I think the supposed advantage of portability should be refuted more clearly. I
> think object pascal code compiled with fpc is more portable than the Delphi.NET
> code. I propose the following change.
>
> Current text:
> There is nothing practical known yet about how portable an average .NET code will
> be. Little experiments with hello world level code mean nothing, that kind of code
> works with plain C too.
>
> Proposed text: There is nothing practical known yet about how portable an
> average .NET code will be. Little experiments with hello world level code
> mean nothing. At this moment object pascal code that can be compiled with
> fpc is more portable than .NET code that can be compiled with Delphi.
>
> What do you think.

Originally that phrase was not just about Delphi.NET, but for "whole" .NET.

It was mostly against Mono which was quoted again and again as the perfect
substitute, while not even working in theory. However this has changed
somewhat, and I'm told most stuff works for at least avg 1.1 C# code. (still
don't know anything about the practicality of Delphi.NET -> Mono, and if
that only works if the code is crafted)