[fpc-pascal] Object pascal a "Modern Language"

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Mar 3 19:47:16 CET 2006

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Micha Nelissen wrote:

> > > classes in shared libraries
> >
> > So does FPC if you so desire ? The RTL can be compiled as a shared lib,
> > and that includes Classes...
>
> This is *very* recent stuff. Is it in 2.0.x yet? Does lazarus work properly
> with a shared LCL library ?

I'll stick to facts, and skip opinions, as you rightly point out...

This is not recent stuff, I did that back in 1998 already on
Linux (the machine called tflily) . Admittedly, it was manual
work using ppumove, but it worked perfectly.

What is new is that the compiler does all the work for you.

What is still missing, is Win32 support. A DLL is a different beast
than a shared lib on linux, because it's usually self-contained,
and because it can't export variables. Mainly, this is package stuff.

The new internal linker should make this possible...

Michael.