[fpc-pascal] Common OpenMP syntax?

Vinzent Höfler JeLlyFish.software at gmx.net
Thu Jul 20 18:29:49 CEST 2006

Marco van de Voort wrote:

> Isn't there a copascal that already has established concurent pascal syntax?

Yes, there is, but its syntax is very limited AFAICS.

> if not, the other wirthian languages look like logical providers?

Ada tasking? Well, too much overkill, I think. ;)

My problem with the OpenMP stuff is that it's more C-centric than
concurrency-centric: Basically they give a compiler "hint"s that some
sequential statement could be executed concurrently.

A concurrent language goes a different way, there you would simply
instantiate the assignment multiple times whether its like "cobegin" in
ConcurrentPascal, "PAR" in Occam2, or "task" types in Ada.

So at first the question should be answered if OpenMP in FreePascal
should be implemented on language (means: special syntax) level or with
compiler directives more similar to the C-version.

Vinzent.