[fpc-pascal] Common OpenMP syntax?

Mattias Gaertner gaertner at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Tue Jul 18 16:52:01 CEST 2006

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, Alexandre Leclerc wrote:

> 2006/7/17, Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>:
> > On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:12:31 +0200
> > Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
> > > However, there is currently (to my knowledge) no pascal syntax defined
> > > for OpenMp support.
> >
> > Right. AFAIK OpenMP is only a standard for C/C++ and Fortran. It's not an
> > implementation.
>
> If ever it needed an implementation (which I'm glad to hear it is
> not), maybe a section should be used like with asm (assembler) code.
> At first glance (2 minutes) I was not able to grasp the big thing
> about that; are we not yet able to do multi-threaded programming in
> FPC?

Yes, we are.
But creating and synchronizing threads needs often a lot of overhead,
measured in lines of code and in performance.
OpenMP is a specification, how to parallize code blocks easily and give
the compiler enough hints to optimize the code.
It is up to compiler developers to support it and provide an
implementation. Probably we can not name ours "OpenMP".

Mattias