[fpc-pascal] Common OpenMP syntax?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Jul 17 21:31:21 CEST 2006

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:12:31 +0200
Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:

> I'am currently thinking about implementing OpenMP support in FPC.

There seems to be something in the air.
I had the same idea two weeks ago. Well, to be honest, I had the idea as I
heard of OpenMP 3 years ago, but now I want to finally do it.
I want to first write a tutorial for MPICH for FPC and then take a closer
look on OpenMP, to get used to it and find out it advantages and
disadvantages. We don't need to make the same errors as the C and Fortran
compilers.

> However, there is currently (to my knowledge) no pascal syntax defined
> for OpenMp support.

Right. AFAIK OpenMP is only a standard for C/C++ and Fortran. It's not an
implementation.

> Do you think we can find a common syntax to simplify
> things for users? I've some ideas how it be done, but I want to hear
> other ideas first so they are maybe better if they aren't influenced by
> my ideas :)
>
> I started also a wiki page about it
> http://www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/OpenMP_support where ideas can
> be written down and shared.

As soon as I done some more OpenMP experiments and made up my mind, I will
join. :)

Mattias