[fpc-pascal] Scripting in FPC

Kornel Kisielewicz charon at magma-net.pl
Fri Feb 10 10:49:49 CET 2006

Jonas Maebe napisaƂ(a):
> That is only required if people statically link to your units. If they
> compile them into a shared library and link against that, they do not
> have to open their sources. That's the whole point of the LGPL.

Yet, in case of a library that is based around classes that would be a
real pain :-).

 > The FPC
> RTL additionally also allows static linking, as long as you make your
> changes to the statically linked units (which are under the FPC RTL
> license) available.

That's nice.

>> What I want is to allow true freedom of using that library -- eg. for
>> a closed-source commercial product too. The only thing I would like is
>> that I am given credit for my work -- if a game uses the libraries, I
>> want to be noted somewhere.
>
> That is not possible with the GPL, LGPL or even the FPC RTL license. If
> you require such credit, people will also not be able to use your
> library in a (L)GPL product, because the resulting license will be
> incompatible with the (L)GPL..

Understood. But I guess I can live with that :-). Yet, that brings up
the idea of double-licencing -- licencing the library as (L)GPL for use
with (L)GPL software, and a parallel licence for use in closed source
software in which case attribution is needed. I guess that would be
possible...
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (adminATchaosforge.org) [http://chaosforge.org]