[fpc-pascal] Building FPC with gdb support for SPARC

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Wed Aug 16 09:05:37 CEST 2006

Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> The build worked and I appear to have an intact fpc and fp. However fp's
> disassembly window is very fragile- SEGV at the drop of a hat.
>
> I find I can't transfer the compiled bundle to another machine- I get "fp:
> /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by fp)" which I
> presume
> is telling me that it can't find the library version it was built against.
> I'm
> going to drop that as an experiment since that machine is too ponderous to
> build
> the compiler in less than a day, and upgrading anything on it isn't
> feasible.

I guess that you could still use the cross-compilation trick - bring the
library from the target machine to your build machine and change the
search paths (probably manually - using "-s" option and playing with the
generated script.res before running the created ppas.sh) before linking.

Some more tips (just ideas): Only IDE (fp) should be using libc (assuming
we talk about Linux target), so only building that one on the target
machine (make all in the IDE directory) should reduce the building time.
Finally, it might be possible to build everything on the build machine
(again use -s option when building, remove all "rm" commands from the
generated ppas.sh before running it and possibly skip the linker too),
transfer everything to target machine and relink there.

> Going back to the SEGV problem, is there any way that somebody with my
> minimal
> experience can tackle this?

Possibly. You might try it with debug info (and line info) enabled binary
to get backtrace. That might possibly help to shed some light on what's
happening there at least; of course it doesn't automatically mean that it
gets resolved, but there's a chance.

Tomas