[fpc-pascal] fpc and intel vtune (now about gprof)

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Apr 25 19:32:27 CEST 2006

On 25 apr 2006, at 17:18, Пётр Косаревский wrote:

>> These are pretty big when taken together.
>
>> ... ... An optional downloadable package
>> would probably make more sense though.
>
> Yes. Hint, link and package/link to smallest possible set of
> libraries would be better. I am not experienced with many things,
> so this was pretty confusing ("can't find -lc" --- maybe I'd
> decipher libc, but "-"...).

As Tomas said, this error is emitted by the linker, not by our
compiler. The compiler, unless with an internal linker, is completely
oblivious to which libraries you have or don't have. And with good
reason: it shouldn't have to know anything about that, since those
are the linker's domain. Separation of concerns.

>>>       4. -pg is a compiler option, not some external feature
>>> implying installation of something
>> There is no other way than to have it as a compiler option, since the
>> compiler must generate special code for it. Similarly, -gv implies
>> that you will use Valgrind, but that does not mean we're going to
>> ship Valgrind with the compiler.
>
> No way! I can compile with "-gv", I don't have valgrind, compiler/
> linker do not complain.

But the result is useless without Valgrind (no more useful than a
regularly compiled binary at least), just like compiling with -gd is
useless without the gprof. It's just a cosmetic difference; in
principle it's exactly the same thing.

Jonas