[fpc-pascal] FPC and Lazarus as a main RAD tool?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Apr 18 16:32:57 CEST 2006

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Sasa Zeman wrote:

> From: "Jonas Maebe" <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be>
>
>>> Since I testing FPC and Lazarus, I'm intersting in using it.
>>> However, FPC and Lazarus currently cannot be competition
>>> to Delphi/Kylix. But  the most important advantages are daily
>>>  updates and upgrades and we hope it
>>> will  become worthy competitor one day.
>>
>> You forgot to add "for my environment and purpose" at the end of that
>> last sentence.
>
> FPC and Lazarus are currently not sutable as a main tool RAD (at least on
> Winodows). If you have Delphi (7) Studio licensed RAD and developing
> commercial applications, you have seen real RAD tool in action:

[cut]

> It is far from that however, that Delphi is bugfree product, but currently
> regarding translation problems, disadvantage of Lazarus IDE and some
> incomaptibility/bugs in both, these advantages are not enough to set FPC and
> Lazarus as a main RAD, at least on Windows which is still the most used OS
> for global puposes.

While I don't argue with your position, In defence of FPC/Lazarus:

Like with all open source projects, it is: You get what you pay for.

Everyone is free to invest some time in making FPC/Lazarus a good
alternative. With a core development team of at most 10 people,
doing this in their spare time, I guess you'll have to be patient...

Michael.